The following are class action lawsuits affecting Canadians that have been settled and are open for claim submissions. You may be eligible and owed a rebate from one or more of these settlements in Canada.
Note: While some settlements do not require proof to make a claim, if you do not qualify for this settlement do NOT file a claim. You are submitting your claim under penalty of perjury. You are also harming other eligible claimants by submitting a fraudulent claim.
Microsoft Windows & Office Software
- Why? Microsoft and Microsoft Canada were allegedly involved in a conspiracy to illegally increase prices for certain Microsoft products. The class action was settled for $409,936,100.
- Eligibility: Canadian resident as of May 25, 2016 who purchased the PC version of Microsoft’s Word, Excel, Office, Works Suite, or Home Essentials, MS-DOS or Windows operating system between December 23, 1998 and March 11, 2010. No proof of purchase is required.
- Deadline: September 23, 2021
- Payout: $6.50 to $13.00 per Microsoft product license
- Make a claim: That Suite Money
- More info: https://www.thatsuitemoney.ca/en/settlement
Prepaid Visa or Mastercard Gift Cards
- Why? Cardholders were charged “maintenance/dormancy” fees in excess of what was permitted under Ontario law (it is illegal for gift cards to expire in Ontario). The cards also had expiry dates that led to cardholders losing the unused balance on their cards. The class action was settled for $17,000,000.
- Eligibility: A consumer (not business) who purchased or received a Vanilla VISA or MasterCard or a Titanium+ Prepaid Cards between November 29, 2011 to April 30, 2014 and resided in Ontario at the time. No proof of purchase is required.
- Deadline: June 4, 2021
- Payout: $100+
- Make a claim: Prepaid Card Class Action
- More info: giftcardsclassaction.ca
Canada Federal Indian Day School Settlement
- Why? Allegations of harm suffered by students attending Federal Indian Day Schools in Canada. It was settled for $1.27 billion.
- Eligibility: Individuals who attended Federal Indian Day School(s) and Federal Day School(s) funded, managed and controlled by Canada, and suffered abuse or harm from teaching staff, officials, students and other third parties at the school. An estimated 120,000 to 140,000 individuals in Canada. Basic personal information as well as proof of enrollment and abuse and harm are required (report cards, class photographs, letters from teachers, attendance records, medical/therapy records).
- Deadline: July 13, 2022
- Payout: $10,000 to $200,000
- Make a claim: Indian Day Schools
- More info: https://indiandayschools.com
Rogers Wireless Early Termination Fees
- Why? Early termination fees charged by Rogers were determined by the Québec Superior Court to be “abusive.” It was settled for $26 million.
- Eligibility: Quebec consumers (~80,000) who live or lived in with a Rogers Wireless phone contract between January 1, 2007, and June 30, 2010; cancelled the contract before it ended; and paid an early termination fee between Feb. 21, 2008, and June 30 2013. Must provide the name of the Rogers Wireless account holder at the time of the termination, as well as one of the phone numbers associated with that account.
- Deadline: May 31, 2021
- Payout: SME voice package $327.91, Consumer voice plan $103.86, SME data plan $42.70
- Make a claim: Monbras
- More info: https://monbras.ca/
Ford Fiesta & Focus Transmissions in Canada
- Why? Alleged transmission defects causing vehicles to accelerate suddenly and without warning, delayed acceleration or be prone to skipping, bucking, and jerking unexpectedly.
- Eligibility: Individuals who owned or leased a 2011 to 2016 Ford Fiesta or a Ford Focus model year 2012 to 2016 in Canada that was equipped with a PowerShift Transmission and have visited an authorized Ford dealer on multiple occasions because of the defect and repairs to the transmission, software flashes, a replacement clutch, or continuing problems must have or are still occurring.
- Deadline: July 13, 2022
- Payout: Up to $5,864 in Vehicle Discount Certificates or up to $2,932 in cash
- Make a claim: https://kccsecure.com/fordtransmissionclassaction/en-US/Claimant/
- More info: http://www.fordtransmissionclassaction.com/faq.aspx
Volkswagen, Audi & Porsche Diesel Emissions
- Why? Alleged emissions defeat device in certain diesel vehicles. It was settled for $9.27 million.
- Eligibility: Individuals who made a claim for a Buyback or Buyback with Trade-In under a separate settlement and were unable to transfer a portion of their warranty coverage may be able to claim up to $500. Extended warranty claims must include either a Claim ID number or vehicle information, such as VIN and information about the extended warranty.
- Deadline: April 8, 2021
- Payout: Up to $500 per claim
- Make a claim: https://kccsecure.com/boschcanadasettlement/Claimant
- More info: https://www.boschcanadasettlement.com/faq.aspx
Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, Subaru Airbags
- Why? Defective airbag inflators could allegedly fail to explode upon deployment.
- Eligibility: Consumers who own, owned, lease, or leased one of the following (must provide proof of out-of-pocket expenses):
- Lexus vehicles: 2007 to 2012 ES350; 2010 to 2017 GX460; 2006 to 2013 IS; 2010 to 2015 IS250C/350C; 2008 to 2014 IS-F; 2012 LF-A; 2002 to 2010 SC430; 2016 to 2019 IS200T/300/350; 2006 to 2009 and 2014 to 2015 IS250/350; 2015 to 2019 RC-F/350/300/200T;
- Mazda vehicles: 2004 to 2013 Mazda 6; 2006 to 2007 Mazda Speed 6; 2004 to 2011 RX-8; 2004 to 2009 B-Series; 2004 to 2006 MPV; 2007 to 2012 CX-7; 2007 to 2015 CX-9; 2010 to 2013 Mazda3; 2011 to 2014 Mazda2;
- Saab vehicles: 2005 to 2006 Saab 9-2X;
- Scion vehicles: 2011 to 2015 XB; 2016 iM;
- Subaru vehicles: 2003 to 2006 Baja; 2009 to 2013 Forester; 2005 to 2011 Impreza; 2003 to 2017 Legacy; 2003 to 2017 Outback; 2004 to 2014 STI/WRX; 2006 to 2014 Tribeca;
- Toyota vehicles: 2017 to 2018 Corolla iM; 2003 to 2019 Corolla; 2003 to 2014 Matrix; 2004 to 2005 RAV4; 2002 to 2007 Sequoia; 2011 to 2014 Sienna; 2003 to 2006 Tundra; 2006 to 2011 Yaris (hatchback); 2007 to 2012 Yaris (sedan); 2010 to 2017 4Runner.
- Deadline: TBD
- Payout: Reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses including car rental, towing charges, childcare expenses, and other costs directly associated with repairing Takata airbags.
- Make a claim: https://www.autoairbagsettlement.ca/en/claim
- More info: https://www.autoairbagsettlement.ca/
Canadian Armed Forces Sexual Misconduct
- Why? Alleged sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces, Department of National Defence, and/or Staff of the Non-Public Funds Canadian Forces. It was settled for $900 million.
- Eligibility: Current and former CAF members who experienced sexual misconduct up to and DND and SNPF who experienced sexual misconduct up to and including Nov. 25, 2019. This includes sexual harassment, sexual assault, and/or discrimination on the grounds of sex, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Deadline: November 24, 2021
- Payout: $5,000 to $100,000, depending on the level of harm suffered
- Make a claim: https://www.caf-dndsexualmisconductclassaction.ca/en/claim
- More info: https://www.caf-dndsexualmisconductclassaction.ca/