Provincial Smart Home Services promotes the promise of a free smart device in Facebook and Instagram ads and on their website to get invitations into your home (which they have to do to get around the ban on door-to-door HVAC sales) where they then pitch long-term (10+ year) rental contracts that end up charging multiple times more (eg. $10,000+) than the equipment is actually worth (eg. ~$2,000) and cost tens of thousands of dollars to cancel or break.
These contracts are very profitable for the rental companies and a bad deal for the majority of their customers.
Renting these appliances is not common practice in Canada outside of Ontario. Purchasing your own unit can result in substantial savings over time, according to the Competition Bureau.
Like Enercare, Reliance Home Comfort and Simply Group, Provincial Smart Home Services is another HVAC rental company to apply aggressive sales tactics in order to get consumers into long-term rental contracts with high cancellation fees.
Further reading: Is renting a water heater worth it?
- No large up-front cost
- Low monthly payments
- Very expensive over time
- Extremely high cancellation and buyout fees
- Many complaints about their customer service
About Provincial Smart Home Services
Incorporated in 2017 at 65 Westmount Rd N, No. 806 Waterloo, Ontario N2L 5G6 Canada, 2587998 Ontario Inc is doing business as Provincial Smart Home Services (PSHS) which is based in Etobicoke, Ontario and was founded in September 2018.
Similar to Ontario Green Savings, they advertise a free smart home device:
To get it, they say you must:
- allow a representative of Provincial Smart Home Services to come to your Property, during reasonable hours and upon prior notice to and consent by you to install a Product(s).
- have an active Enbridge account (so they can bill you automatically through Enbridge’s Open Bill Program).
- “Once our Energy Advisor determines your eligibility they will process your Bill Credit. rebates are processed with Enbridge auditors with our customer service team which will be coordinated”
On their website they claim brands like LG, Rheem, Samsung and Lennox are their “partners”, though they are likely referring to the manufacturers that make the equipment that they rent to customers, and not companies they have direct business partnerships with.
Their financing is provided by a familiar player in the industry – Simply Group Financial, the financing arm of Simply Group, which has acquired a number of HVAC rental company’s portfolios after the company selling to consumers door-to-door goes under or develops a poor enough reputation.
According to a ex-employee of the company we spoke to whose employment we verified, they also put liens on customers’ properties.
Who owns Provincial Smart Home Services?
Mohamed Osman and Khalid Elmi listed are also both co-founders and directors of 30430 Holdings Inc. which was incorporated December 2, 2021 and shares the same address as Provincial Smart Home Services.
From Khalid Elmi’s profile:
At the age of 28, I put my head down to work 12+ hour days building Provincial Smart Home. 4 years later, I lifted my head up to see that we’ve become one of Canada’s fastest-growing companies with 50+ employees, speeding down a runway toward $60-75M in annual sales—in Ontario alone.
Leading growth path to 50+ employees, 100+ independent contractors, 5000 square-foot office & revenue runway toward $60M in annual sales.
I began in field sales for the energy/HVAC industries, growing my brand to become one of the most successful sales professionals in North America. I realized if I wanted to scale my destiny to extraordinary heights, only entrepreneurship could achieve it.
The journey to this point was far from smooth. I was born into a high-achieving family: my father was an Ambassador in my home country, one of my brothers went to MIT and another obtained his Ph.D. while I chose to give up the “traditional” educational path. At 18, I pursued my love of sales and built a career from the bottom-up: door-knocking. When I made my first sale and earned $1400 in commission, I knew there was no going back.
Working at Provincial Smart Home Services
A job posting on Indeed hiring three Regional Sales Closers states that the average commission ranges from 85,000 to $350,000 and describes the job as follows:
As a Regional Sales Closer, you will receive 4-6 pre-qualified sales appointments in your territory each day. Our one-of-a-kind program gives you the opportunity to earn an uncapped commission with unlimited income growth!
While their Google (4.8 with 606), Facebook (5 with 28), Homestars (7.5 with 32), TrustPilot (3.9 with 97) and Bark (5 with 63) reviews seem overwhelmingly positive at first glance, the company has an F rating on BBB which warns that PSHS is offering compensation or incentives to individuals who post reviews. The ex-employee confirmed this, saying they give customers gift cards for reviews the same day of install.
Online reviews mention being promised a free smart thermostat, buyout of their existing HVAC rental contract and/or rebates or credit on their Enbridge account for in some cases over $1,000, but report never receiving the devices, buyouts or rebates they were promised and say that to get the smart thermostat, you must sign up for an equipment rental contract.
I answered an ad on instragram for a “free energy smart kit”‼️ Turns out I should have been more “buyer beware smart” as the ad did not contain full disclosure about a company representative who said the kit could not be mailed but must be delivered by a company rep thru a booked appt for consultation. Rep shows up with NO ENETGY SMART KIT to qualify me. Instead a proposed contract for a furnace installation & protection plan for $15,000 with $1,000 rebate from my energy supplier. Such a disappointment after not getting the FREE ENERGY SMART KIT even after the consultation appt.
After everything been set up, the credit they promised just never came true.
They were very quick to install but when I reached out to them regarding the buy out of my energy company and the rebate from Enbridge no response
As promised I did not receive buy out of my furnace, ac and thankless water. I was suppose to receive $1200 in enbridge account and Inspector inspection and nothing to be paid (fee)
Rebate cheque, I am still waiting.
I had an offer through Facebook for free thermostat and further how to save energy and get government rebates and if I would like my water heater to save me more money they would buy out my existing heater from Embridge. I have not received any government rebate my water heater is in my garage and I got a tankless water heater, plus a water softener, plus a hepa filter system and insulated my attic. All this at a cost of $15,000.00 payment by weekly plus interest I was deceived and tricked all this was to be free or with rebates
I was told, and this was signed off by Michael, that I would get a credit of $300 and a cheque for $1500 from Enbridge within 2 months but this never happened. When I contacted customer svc, I was told that an audit has to be done first and I will have to pay $735, which will be refunded within 6 months. This was never discussed initially.
Also I was suppose to receive $1200 in enbridge account and Inspector inspection and nothing to be paid (fee). Now I am been asked to pay.
They still haven’t paid the buy out for the rental hot water tank after almost 5 months.
Haven’t received any of the rebates yet and will not return our calls regarding them. Paying double for our water system monthly. Big problems here with follow up. Just be aware of what you are getting in too! cost of services: $15,000.00
It is now more than a full week and service person (s) have not shown up to fix the gas line on the fireplace or put on the cap to the 6″ open exhaust pipe.
Still have our water tank that they have not bought out or arranged to have picked up. They promised a google nest which has still not been delivered or installed.
failed to mention that i had to pay Enbridge to get the promised rebate.
I’ve been calling the past few weeks and months to get someone to investigate on why we haven’t received our rebate yet and no one has gotten back to me.
Everything was installed in March, was promised a rebate, had 2 inspectors cancel appointments, service reps not calling back, I think this was all a slick sales pitch to a single senior.
The rep said he would visit the home when the work is complete, which he never did, and they were going to send someone to check the door bell which didn’t happen either. Also he said he would be taking care of a check from Ontario Government for the energy saving upgrade, and there has not been any follow up to this.
we had Reliance issues and they showed up saying they would buy out all our Reliance, if we used them to install a new combination hotwater /Boiler. Reliance called and are sending me to collections because Provincial Smart Home are liars and didn’t pay it off.
It has been 3 days now with numerous phone calls but as of today while I am writing this review, I still don’t have an appointment to fix the problem.
Resolving reviewers’ complaints
There are more than a few reviews that mention adjusting their review after being in contact with Shea, a Customer Relations Manager:
- 1 star to 5 – They still haven’t paid the buy out for the rental hot water tank after almost 5 months. Shae went above and beyond to make things right. They took care of the energy audit and the buy out of my hot water tank
- Shae has reached out to me and promised all would be looked after. As of this morning all issues have been resolved.
- 1 star to 3 – I gave this company a very bad review because of my experience with the company. They have fixed most of my issues, and will have the rest fixed this week so i’m not as upset as I was.
- 1 star to 3 – I will give 2 more stars for Shae.
- after four months Shea came through for us, Shea was awesome. Thanks Shea for making us happy customers
- A great claps to Shea (Customer Relations Manager)who makes everything smooth.
- I contacted Shae Customer relations manager through instagram and I received a great deal and service.
- I loved the service and shae is so friendly and accommodating. … Shea explained everything in details and also gave me the best deal.
Reaching out to Provincial Smart Home Services
We reached out to both Khalid and Mohammed with the following questions:
Good afternoon Khalid,
I’m working on a story for Cansumer about Provincial Smart Home Services (PSHS) and how customers are reporting not receiving the rebates and contract buyouts they were promised.
To ensure we get both sides of the story, I am reaching out to ask you the following questions:
- Why has PSHS used multiple operating names to advertise services eg. Provincial Rebates, Green Energy Savings, Energy Star Rebates, Home Care Now?
- Why does the PSHS Better Business Bureau page state that the company is offering compensation or incentives to individuals who post reviews, which was also confirmed to us by an ex-employee?
- Why are many customer reviews reporting not receiving the credit/rebate/cheque or buyout of their existing equipment rental contract that they were promised?
- What is the amount, source and reason for the rebate cheque that PSHS offers?
- Why are customers having to wait weeks and months for PSHS to return their calls and emails?
The article will be published Tuesday at 9AM. Please respond before then to have your statements included.
And received the following response from Khalid at 9:30AM on Tuesday. He did not answer any of my questions, but refuted the ex-employees claims, PSHS’ affiliation with Home Care Now, and the allegations on the BBB:
Good Morning Mr. Wideman,
While we appreciate you reaching out, we will not tolerate any false or misleading statements about Provincial Smart Home Services (“PSHS”) or be threatened with unknown sources such as an alleged disgruntled employee. We have already reached out to this previous employee and our lawyers are in the process of exercising an NDA which was signed.
PSHS is not affiliated with Home Care Now. PSHS only recently became aware of the allegations made on the Better Business Bureau website. As such, PSHS is still investigating the matter with our legal team and is not in a position to comment. PSHS takes all customer complaints seriously and will continue to resolve all issues directly with individual customers as necessary.
If you have genuine intentions, I extend an open invite to meet face to face at our head office here in Etobicoke. We take pride in our operation and truly put our customers first.
Accordingly, we demand that you refrain from publishing false information in connection to PSHS. Otherwise, we reserve the right to escalate this matter to our legal counsel and commence legal proceedings against you for defamation and any other ground as may be necessary.
Associated and past brands
PSHS is the latest in a long and complex web of churn-and-burn HVAC sales entities.
According to the employee, in addition to Provincial Smart Home Services, they have operated as Provincial Rebates and Canadian Quality Home Services. We also found connections other companies that Mohammed and Khalid may have worked at in the past for companies such as Home Care Now, Trusted Home Services, Ontario EcoSmart and Just Green Home Services.
Here are the details we could find about each of these entities. The date for each is when the website’s domain name was first registered or company was incorporated.
Canada’s Green Home Solutions (Aug 2022)
Connection: The phone number of this company (416-705-4060) was provided to us as one of Moe’s contact numbers.
- Address: 1 King Street W. Suite 1400, Hamilton, L8P 4X9, CA
- Web: canadasgreenhomesolutions.com
- Phone: 1-416-705-4060
- Email: email@example.com
Provincial Rebates (May 2022)
Connection: PSHS also operate the official-sounding Provincial Rebates. Their Facebook page lists its location as 542 Evans Ave, Toronto, ON, which according to the ex-employee is the address of a storage company where PSHS reportedly has a unit where they store their equipment.
Provincial Rebates advertises free thermostats on Instagram:
According to their website, they “work as a non-government organization, which offers free energy saving kits tailored to specific needs of your home” and that 628,972 Smart Kits have been claimed – a number that seems impossibly high for a company in Ontario.
To get you to submit your personal information, the website states: “Homeowners are qualified to register in Home Energy Tax Rebate program and can get up to $1250 in rebate on home energy bill.” They do not provide additional details about this program and I cannot find any programs by that name which offer that incentive amount anywhere in Canada.
They are likely invoking the concept of the Home Efficiency Rebate Program which is provided by Enbridge and offers up to $5,000 in rebates towards energy efficiency upgrades such as insulation, water heaters, furnaces and assessments. The program requires a registered energy advisor to do an energy assessment in your home, but Provincial Smart Home Services is not registered with Enbridge and not part of the program.
After you submit your information into the form on their website or through Facebook or Instagram, they will:
- Call you to make an appointment with one of their Registered Energy Advisors.
- The advisor will audit your gas, water and hydro bills to provide you a custom energy rebate report.
- When you successfully meet efficient energy usage, our advisor will collect and submit all the necessary paperwork for the rebates & incentives you were eligible
- You will receive you Energy Star rebate in 1-2 billing cycles.
They display the logos of the Ontario Power Authority, Union Gas, Enbridge, Ontario Energy Board and more on their homepage, which gives the impression that they are associated, partnered, certified or do business with these organizations in some way. They state – but only in the fine print that they are not affiliated with any Provincial or Government agency.
- Web: https://provincialrebates.ca/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Energy Savings (Oct 2021)
This brand appears to be defunct as there are no registration or contact forms.
- Web: http://greenenergysavings.ca/
Energy Star Rebates (Aug 2021)
Connection: The website looks basically identical to the last two and uses the exact same number “628,972 Rebates claimed“. They also use the exact same testimonials by Jefferson Patterson Doe, Sarah Palmer L, etc. as Provincial Rebates.
- Web: https://energystarrebates.com/
Home Care Now (Oct 2019)
Connection: Same corporate entity (2553989 ONTARIO INC) and operating address (1243 Islington Ave Unit 403, Etobicoke, ON M8X 1Y9) as Trusted Home Services below.
Incorporated in 2016, and previously operated as Trusted Home Services, 2553989 ONTARIO INC. later operated as Home Care Now. The company is listed on Ontario’s Consumer Beware List for missing/inadequate/misleading disclosures, Business Failed to Respond and Deficient goods/services, Business Failed to Respond.
The company has an F rating on BBB.
Their sole Google review reads:
Beware of these scammers, I was their victim. They sold me a contract of $65 a month for a water heater, after 7 months I sold the house and contacted them to move the heater contract to the new owner. They refused and demanded me to pay $7,650 to stop the contract. Now I have to pay that big money for a heater that I will leave to the next tenant for free
Comments on their Facebook page include:
it’s been 6 months and they didn’t offer my rebate yet. I called so many times no reply.
They do not do what they say and once they have your money, they don’t return your text, phone calls or emails.
According to a Reddit post, they were partnered with Pinnacle for the financing and Koch Management Group for the equipment.
- Received a call from a company called Home Care Now that said I signed up for a promotion online to look at rebates I could take advantage of offered by the Ontario Government
- They would completely buy out our contract with Reliance at “no extra cost” to us.
- They would then remove our gas water heater and install a tankless water heater in its place. They would also install a Hawk Environmental AirWash HEPA filter.
- After installing both pieces of equipment, they would get us on a financing plan for $15000 at 2.99% over 20 years. If we were to sell the house before that, the contract would go with the house and we wouldn’t be responsible for it any longer. This option would bring our monthly payments from $210 down to $77.
- Web: http://www.homecarenow.ca/
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-833-552-8647
- Mail: 1243 Islington Ave Unit 403, Etobicoke, ON M8X 1Y9
Ontario EcoSmart (May 2019)
Connection: According to a post on RedFlagDeals, an individual named Moe Osman was a salesperson for this company.
Ontario EcoSmart was incorporated in May 2019. Travis Curry was listed as director.
- Web: ontarioecosmart.com
- Phone: 1 (866) 666-9692
- Mail: 2201 – 250 Yonge St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5B 2L7
Trusted Home Services (2016 – permanently closed)
Connection: The same corporate entity (2553989 ONTARIO INC – 559 Leighland Drive, Waterloo, Ontario N2T 2H4 Canada) and operating address (1243 Islington Ave Unit 403, Etobicoke, ON M8X 1Y9) as Home Care Now above. Several reviews mention a Mohammad/Moe/Mo Osman and state that he was a sales manager.
- Unfair Practice – False Misleading
- Fail to Refund
- Direct Agr – Fail to Deliver Valid Contract
- Soliciting a consumer, while in the consumer’s home, to enter into a direct agreement
- Fail to take reasonable care as director
According to Google reviews, they no longer had responsibility of the customer’s contract in 2020 because it had been taken over by CHICC.
Other individuals connected to this company according to Google reviews include:
- Nicholas Connell
- Christian Burel
- Moe Tork
- Ahmed, the part owner
Two guys come to my house asking if I received my “free” Google Nest thermostat.
- Web: trustedhomeservice.ca
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-866-878-7804
- Mail: 1243, Islington Avenue, 403, Etobicoke, On M8X 1Y9, CA
Canadian Quality Home Services (April 2018 – permanently closed)
Connection: Another brand used by PSHS according to the ex-employee.
“CQHS started in 2016 specializing in providing water filtration systems and water softener systems in Edmonton and area.”
after almost a year after installation and still no word on our $500 utility credit
Where are all the additional products that were to be received of approx $5,000!
- Web: https://cqhs.ca/
- Phone: 1-888-655-2747
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: 9932 70 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 0V7
Just Green Home Services (Feb 2018 – permanently closed)
Connection: Khalid Elmi’s LinkedIn states that he worked for Just Green Home Services for around 2 years from Sept 2015 to Aug 2017 in roles as D2D sales and Operations Manager on a full time contract. It shares the same address and phone number as National Green Home Services and phone number of Ontario Standard.
The now-closed Just Green Home Services was based at that address and had a 1.2 star rating and 10 reviews.
They were previously part of Enbridge’s open bill program.
- Web: http://www.justgreenhomeservices.com/
- Phone: 1-888-846-9994
- Mail: 267 Matheson Blvd E, Mississauga, ON L4Z 1X8
Just Green Home Services Alberta Ltd. formerly Alberta Energy Group Inc. (July 2015)
Incorporated July 16, 2015 at 559 Leighland Dr., Waterloo ON N2T 2H4 (same address as 2553989 ONTARIO INC doing business as Home Care Now and Trusted Home Services) was ordered to cease engaging in unfair practices and received an Administrative penalty of $3,000 as a result of contraventions of the Consumer Protection Act. The sole registered director was Mohamed Osman.
National Green Home Services Inc. (Dec 2015 to Oct 2018)
Connection: Mohamed Osman was the sole director of the corporation and a LinkedIn profile of the same name states they were President of Sales.
National Green Home Services Inc. was incorporated in December 2015 at the same address as Just Green Home Services and was dissolved in October 2018.
- Mail: 267 Matheson Blvd E, Mississauga, ON L4Z 1X8
Ontario Standard Home Services (Jul 2015)
Connection: Shares the same address and phone number as Just Green Home Services.
Ontario Standard Home Services Ltd. was incorporated in July 2015 at the same address as Just Green Home Services and dissolved in May 2019.
Mr. Sean Seecharan was the owner of Ontario Standard Home Services.
- Web: http://www.ontariostandard.ca/
- Phone: 1-888-846-9994 (BBB) and 1 (800) 698-6151
- Mail: 55 Eglinton Ave E #800, Toronto, ON M4P 1G8
How to cancel a Provincial Smart Home Services contract?
If you have a rental contract through Provincial Smart Home Services or any associated company, you have a few options:
- 10 day cooling off period – You can cancel a contract for any reason within 10 days of receiving a written copy of the agreement.
- False/misleading representations – If the business has represented their goods or services in a false, misleading or deceptive way, you can cancel the contract and get a full refund within 1 year by sending a written request to the business.
You can also report instances of misleading or deceptive marketing practices to the Competition Bureau using the online complaint form or by telephone at 1-800-348-5358.
- Posing as a government representative – If the salesperson falsely posed as a representative of a legitimate corporation such as Enbridge or Google or a government entity or program such as the Ontario Energy Board or Green Homes Grant, report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-855-495-8501 or contact local police.
- Missing contract information – If the contract was from a salesperson either at your door or in your home and does not include specific information about the goods or service and your rights as a consumer (see Requirements for Direct Agreements), you can cancel the contract within 1 year of entering into the agreement.
- Failure to refund – If the business fails to refund you, you’re outside the 1 year timeframe, or you think the company has broken the law in the Consumer Protection Act, file a complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. Charges that are commonly laid against these kinds of companies include:
- Leave an honest review on Trustpilot. Other customers have reported having their rebate and contract buyout issues resolved after leaving 1 star reviews there.
- Failure to provide rebate/buyout/device as promised – Report this fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre
- Contact the media (eg. CBC Go Public) and ask them to publish your story. Customers who have had their stories published usually have their contract concerns resolved.
- Have a lawyer do a title check to see if any illegal liens have been registered against your property: https://www.ontariohvacscam.com
- Buyout the contract
Also, a reminder that Section 184 of the Criminal Code states that recording private conversations is legal as long as one of the parties involved in the call consents to the recording.
- Web: https://provincialsmarthome.com/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-877-376-7589
- Mail: 1243 Islington Ave, Unit 800, Etobicoke, Ontario M8X1Y9 Canada
Avoid this company at all costs
It started out good, but now I have faulty equipment that they won’t service. They are in breach of their contract, but still continue to pay them for equipment that’s no good. Want to save yourself headaches….don’t call these people. Worst customer service ever, they never give you a supervisor, always make promises to help but never do.
Door-to-door sales targeting seniors offering the sun, moon, and stars. Pushed hard for same day install so that you are trapped into a terrible deal.
Had lots of issues/misunderstanding at the beginning but They were able to fix verything
I had no issues with services, all the installation was done on time and properly. Although I had some concerns with my payment and contract at the beginning. There was a misunderstanding between me and the company
which was frustrating and explain my previous reviews but Shae, Customer Relations Mgr called regarding my issues. She was able to explain all the details.
She was very understanding about my concerns. We came up with an agreement that satisfied me. She was very professional, very understanding, and willing to help.
She was able to resolve my concern.
They have good service but I would recommend everyone not to rush and actually go through all the details before signing the deals.
Overall I am satisfied with the service
Thank you so much Shae & the company
Nothing but scam
DO NOT DO Business with them.
Other reviews are probably fake, this company doesn’t deserve a single star.
I had worse experience with this company.
First, sales agent doesn’t explain the whole details. Contract is very sketchy, “stuff written with pen”. I have them installed water heater and AC. They sent me the contact details few days after and told price was 23 thousands dollars. I don’t believe that it cost that much, they don’t have details about the cost in the contract.
They also promised a bill reduction of 15-20%, I didn’t see that happening even 3 months after installation. They also promised that I will be receiving over $1500 rebates, they promised to credit me amount changed by reliance for old water heater, I have not seen any of that even after 4 Months. I keep calling them every week about all those issues. Front line agent answers the phone every time and promise me that they will call me back because they don’t have any access to my file, yet I have not received any calls from them since it was installed, yet they are changing me every months. This is a scam stay out of this. I am complaining consumer protection act about this. Please stay out of this mess. If you are not convinced with my review, contact me and I will be happy to provide all the details, I don’t want anyone else falling for this scam.
Leave a review or submit a complaint
If you have experience with Provincial Smart Home Services or one of their associated brands, we’re interested to know your thoughts. How long have you been with them and what do you think about their service, contracts and value? Let us know by leaving a review and sharing your experience below!