- Consumer Protection
- Human Rights
- Legal Information
- Employment Standards
- Ombudsman (Government complaints)
Federal Consumer Resources
Ensures federally regulated financial entities (banks, insurance, payment cards, credit, trust and loan companies) comply with consumer protection measures.
- Bank Act
- Insurance Companies Act
- Trust and Loan Companies Act
- Co-operative Credit Associations Act
- Green Shield Canada Act
- Payment Card Networks Act
- Financial Consumer Agency of Canada Act
Regulate and supervise broadcasting and telecommunications (TV, Internet, Phone, Telemarketing, Spam) in the public interest.
Ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace by enforcing the:
Collects information on fraud and identity theft.
Enhance the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) accountability in its service to, and treatment of, taxpayers through independent and objective reviews.
Consumer Services & Protection
- Canadian Human Rights Act – Protects people in Canada against harassment or discrimination when based on one or more grounds of discrimination such as race, age and sexual orientation.
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms – Protects equality rights and other fundamental rights such as the freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and freedom of religion from infringements by laws, policies or actions of governments, including authorities such as the police.
Human Rights Commissions contact information for each province and territory in Canada.
Ombudsman (Government complaints)
Oversees and investigates provincial government authorities and broader public sector bodies, such as provincial ministries, Crown corporations, tribunals, agencies, boards and commissions, and municipalities, universities, and school boards.
If we’ve missed a resource or one needs to be updated, please let us know.